Swing Dance – May Camp 2017
Attention: FAMI Hipsters!
To celebrate FAMI’s 20th anniversary, there is a Swing Dance on Sunday night at the May Camp (about 10:00 – 11:30 pm) – an opportunity to play, listen and dance to some great music!
The band, the “Bow River Swing All-Stars”, is composed of many of you talented musicians. This stage band will feature some instructors and students capable of sight reading music charts. There will also be a “Wall of Wood” string rhythm section, which gives our inspired FAMI student players a chance to play following simpler swing chord charts. The same is true for the vocalists! If you love to sing great swing songs, this is your chance! We will also have introductory dance Instruction to get your feet moving.
Here’s How It Will Work and How You Can Participate
- The onstage band will be chosen based on musical ability (e.g., sight reading of swing charts). These folks drive the music. The Swing Dance coordinators will make these choices based on ability and some of the musicians will be drawn from the instructor team.
- Wall of Wood – For those wishing to chord along to swing music chord diagrams, simple ‘Sorrento’ Style chord charts will be provided. You will sit on chairs in front of the stage. Please bring your own music stand. Depending on the number of people interested, we may cycle people through every few songs so everyone interested gets a chance to play.
- Vocalists – For those who want to sing lead, you will sing the melody, allow some instrumentalists some solos and sing the melody again with some appropriate ending.
- Dancers!!! – Basic swing dancing is not difficult and is really fun! People from the FAMI community will show you the ropes (steps) to get you going. All you need is enthusiasm!
If you want to play chords, melody or solos as per #1 or #2 above, send an email to email@example.com expressing your interest. We will get in touch with you about it.
If you want to sing, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be ready to discuss a song or two and the key. We will get in touch with you about it. See the songlist in the sidebar to the right. If you want to sing something else, let us know asap. Please, no slow songs.
If you want to dance (and most of you do!) just show up and look out for the intro dance sessions to be held sometime on the weekend. If you are a capable dancer, then please let us know email@example.com so we can tap into your skills. The more people we have involved in helping others, the better.
We need to know your interest ASAP so please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Saturday night we will have ‘rehearsal at the swing jam so we can lock in the groove (and other easy stuff like beginning and endings…ha!). SEE YOU AT THE DANCE!!
FAMI Swing Dance Song List
These are songs that the organizers have available to them in an easily transposable form such that we can be organized with the right key for the right song before the dance starts.
• After You’ve Gone
• Ain’t Misbehavin’
• All of Me
• Almost Like Being In Love
• Blue Monk
• Blue Skies
• Bye Bye Blackbird
• Bye Bye Blues
• Choo Choo Ch’Boogie
• Deed I Do
• Deep Water
• Don’t Fence Me In
• Don’t Get Around Much Anymore
• Don’t Mean A Thing
• Fly Me to The Moon
• Glory Of Love
• Honeysuckle Rose
• How High The Moon
• I’m An Old Cowhand
• In A Mellow Tone
• I Wish You Love
• Jersey Bounce
• Lady Be Good
• Miles And Miles Of Texas
• Night And Day
• Palm Springs Jump
• Sugar Moon
• They Can’t Take That Away From Me
• The Sheik of Araby