FAMI began a Bursary Program in 2011. The FAMI Bursary Program is intended to support those with a strong interest in playing or learning to play acoustic instruments (including vocals and songwriting) and who wish to attend a FAMI event but cannot do so due to financial considerations. These bursaries are made possible by contributions from the FAMI community of supporters. The Bursaries are awarded based on musical interest and commitment and financial need with a maximum of one Bursary per person per year.
A limited number of bursaries will be available each year for FAMI’s events and will cover approximately 80% of the Registration Fee.
If you plan to apply for a bursary, you must pay close attention to the Applying for a Bursary and Timelines sections below.
Applying for a Bursary
All Bursary applications must include:
- Completed Bursary Application Form.
- Two letters of character reference plus reference contact information (email and phone).
- Purchase of FAMI online registration for the event you wish to attend. This includes payment of the Registration Deposit: $60.00 for 2017 May and August instructional camps or $30.00 for 2017 Fall Jam camp. (plus applicable online processing fees)
- A volunteer Committee oversees the Bursary process. All applications will be held in strict confidence between that Committee, the FAMI Bursary Committee liaison, the FAMI Registrar and FAMI Treasurer.
FAMI events fill very quickly on a first-come-first-serve basis and Bursary applicants are processed at the same time as all other event registrants.
With FAMI’s Online Registration Process, Bursary applications are done in two steps:
- Register for the appropriate FAMI event via the Online Registration Process. There will be a special registration type for Bursary Applicants with the appropriate fee. The number of Bursaries available will be limited for each event.
- FAMI relies on the volunteerism of its Board and event participants to make FAMI events possible. Bursary applicants may wish to choose a volunteer job as part of their online event registration to more fully immerse themselves in FAMI culture.
- Submit your completed Bursary Application Form and your reference letters to the FAMI Registrar by scanning the documents and emailing them to the Registrar. Your completed documents must be received by FAMI no later than 3 days after your online registration has been made. To ensure your information arrives on time, you may, in anticipation of registering for the event, submit your application form and references before event registrations are open.
We strongly suggest that you start the process before event registrations open, particularly obtaining reference letters.
Our volunteer Bursary Committee will review applications on a first-come-first-serve basis. If there is an application(s) worthy of a Bursary and if the applicant can be accommodated at the specified event then the application will be registered. If the event is already full, then no further Bursaries will be processed, regardless of their merit. All Bursary applicants who do not gain entrance to the event will have their deposits promptly returned.
Supporting FAMI’s Bursary Program
FAMI aims to continue the Bursary Program well into the future. We wish to thank the many individuals (mainly fellow FAMI event attendees) whose contributions have helped make these bursaries possible. If you would like to become one of the people we thank, simply include a donation with your online event registration.
FAMI is a registered Charitable Organization and will provide Income Tax Receipts for all contributions of $20.00 or more.